Those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder use many standard and common phrases.
Lots of “I” and “my” language, and Hardly ever use “us” or “we” or “our”.
They will tell you who they are by their accusations towards you and others.
They will not likely ever apologize (that’s your job), and if they do, it sounds like:
- I’m sorry you see it that way
- I’m sorry that your behaviour/words made me do that
They will only give a compliment if, in fact, it is “an insult hidden in a compliment”.
- The one thing that you are good at is “……………….”
Other common ones:
- Why don’t you trust me?
- You never support me.
- You are so selfish.
- Are you lying to me again?
- Are you having an affair?
- Anything that involves criticism of your looks
- You were flirting with him, and everyone noticed
- You embarrassed me when you ……….
- You emasculated me in front of my family/friends when you …..
- You are always being mean and hurtful
- You are crazy
- You are over-reacting again
- You have trust issues
- I think you need to see someone about your issues
- You couldn’t manage without me
- You never listen
- I want your opinion (but only if it agrees with mine)
- I am good at manipulating situations and people to get my own way, but I would never do that to you.
- You are a lying, manipulative, vindictive person
- Our relationship is not wrong; it is all in your head.
- You made me do it.
- You keep me away from your friends
- There is “something” wrong with you
- Anything that criticizes your kids (as they know this will hurt more than a criticism of you)
- I told you that, you just don’t listen.
- I’m just not important around here.