Common Phrases – Narcissistic Personality Disorders
There are many standard and common phrases used by those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
Lots of “I” and “my” language, Hardly ever use “us” or “we” or “our”.
They will actually tell you who they are by the accusations they make towards you and others.
They will not likely ever apologize (that’s your job) and if they do, it sounds like:
- I’m sorry you see it that way
- I’m sorry that your behaviour/words made me do that
They will only give a compliment if in fact it is “an insult hidden in a compliment”.
- The one thing that you are good at is “……………….”
Other common ones:
- Why don’t you trust me?
- You never support me
- You are so selfish
- Are you lying to me again
- Are you having an affair?
- Anything that involves a criticism of you looks
- You were flirting with him, everyone noticed
- You embarrassed me when you ……….
- You emasculated me in front of my family/friends when you …..
- You are always being mean and hurtful
- You are crazy
- You are over-reacting again
- You have trust issues
- I think you need to see someone about your issues
- You couldn’t manage without me
- You never listen
- I want your opinion (but only if it agrees with mine)
- I am good at manipulating situations and people to get my own way, but I would never do that to you.
- You are a lying, manipulative, vindictive person
- There’s nothing wrong in our relationship, it is all in your head
- You made me do it
- You keep me away from your friends
- There is “something” wrong with you
- Anything that criticizes your kids (as they know this will hurt more that a criticism of you)
- I told you that, you just don’t listen
- I’m just not important around here